Sunday, November 15, 2009

Some shoutouts

 There are some people out there who deserve recognition, whether or not they ever check this blog, or even know it exists.  These are for some of the people who have helped us out, or made our trip easier in some way.  We just felt like saying thanks, publicly.

To Nickel Potter.  Nickel, you rock.  Big ups to you.  Together, we made a trio that repeatedly painted the town brown, spat on fish, and in all other ways, accomplished the amazing and seemingly impossible.  I will think of you whenever I listen to Nerd Petroleum Redistribution, or see a man carrying a large, unwieldy box in a public place, or see a suitcase/rusty old muffler full of money/seawater and sand, or eat a really tasty curry...  Or see a beautiful sunset...  Probably not as often with that last one, though...  Nickel, you made the last three weeks of cycling an adventure, and we enjoyed your company immensely.  Good luck in Tahoe, and Arkansas, and everywhere else you find yourself, which is sure to be all over the place.  And, as always, murder and dismemberment, my friend.  Live well.

To Emily and Caroline!  Thank you for your bravery in inviting three smelly, scruffy, homeless bicycle gypsies to spend a night indoors.  I hope the food bank continues to treat you well.  If you still have some of that pumpkin ginger carrot cake, could you send that to San Francisco, general mail?  We are hungry.  What else is new.

To Tony Cacciapagglia!  My front rack is still working perfectly, carrying far more weight than any typical front rack is designed for.  Thanks for your help designing and welding the black beast that has already traveled some ten degrees in latitude.

To Brook, Malory, and the rest those involved with our Arcata fiesta!  Your floor space, indoor and heated, was phenomenal, but your company was even better.  Thank you for helping make our Halloween in Arcata unforgettable. 

To Son and Luic!  When it comes to the best dinner of our trip so far, your work just south of Klamath still takes the cake.  I hope your own adventure is still going well, and wish you good luck as you walk south through Central and South America.  And, Son, sorry I lost your blow dart.  Good luck hunting.

To Kevin and Lorri!  It has been over a month now, but we still remember you!  We had an awesome time at your place, and still talk about you when we are alone on the edge of civilization, observing the relentlessly setting sun, without a place to stay.  Thank you.

To John, Josh, and Janeaua...  Oh no...  Is it bad that I don't quite know how to spell your name, oh very most favorite cousin of mine, whom I love and adore?  I know how to say it, I swear!  Staying in Portland and seeing all of you was very enjoyable.  I hope we can spend more of that kind of time together in the future.  And Josh, thank you for the food-- we were still eating trail mix and sunflower seed/nuts all the way into northern California. 

To Brian, Lisa, Dylan, Oliver.  Your company, and your hospitality, were welcome.  Dyl, Ol, that night with the guitars and the mandolin was the first time I feel we have really just sat down to hang out together, and it needs to happen more.  I love you two.

To Isaac, the bicycle mechanic.  Thank you for installing Josh's mountain cassette-- it has saved us.  The mountains we have climbed (I think 2700 some feet is our highest altitude so far) would not have been summittable without that mechanical change.  Without that cassette, we could not have done the Lost Coast, and if we never did the lost coast, then Josh might never have broken three spokes, blown a tire, bent a rim, and accidentally almost befouled, discovered, and taken part in rescuing a burrowing owl from the depths of a pit toilet.  

To Josh and Justin!  I wish our attempts to fix your broken spoke with kevlar string could have been more successful.  Nevertheless, the attempt was enjoyable, as was our mutually failed attempt to free camp at Manchester.  Good luck to you in Santa Rosa.

There are more who have aided in our adventures, but I am distractable and forgetful, so their names must go unmentioned. 

Tyler, Drew, I miss you.  Mom, Dad, I love you.

San Francisco is a very, very enjoyable city to live in.

Enjoy your lives, folks.

Oh, yeah, and we might go to India.

4 comments:

  1. This is a good update. My ALG interview is tomorrow. Meeting with a professor before. Cold and windy. Our recycling is all over the street. The couch at the F street costs one part utilities plus odd jobs around the house. Someone told me that death valley is the place where living things crawl inside, dry up and die. Take some water.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chance!
    This is Olivia.
    I just thought I'd give you a hello and let you know I'm thinking of you and coveting you going on this trip. And INDIA?! My mom told me you were inspired by Shantaram. I am so glad you read that and liked it so much! It is one of my favorite books and I am glad all my family accepted it as well. I tried to spread it to my brothers and my dad but so far only my mom ever finished it. It really made me want to go live in India as well. Not so much that jail section..ha! But wow. That would be crazy. I want to go live there like he did. Don't stay away too long though, or I'll get so jealous at the thought that you're living there that I'll drop everything and go to India as well.
    Well, I will keep up with your blog updates and think about you and your travels often.
    Your cousin,
    Olivia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Olivia!!!
    What is your email address? I want to be in better contact with you. I hope you read the comments for posts you have already commented upon, or else this attempt to contact you is pointless... The chances are probably slim. Anyway, if you read this, lemme know, and I am excited to keep posting in India-- I plan to spend at least a week in Mumbai, and I may just have to perform a personal Shantaram tour to see the places in the City where things took place. Expect copious pictures and excited, unintelligible blog posts. I miss you Olivia. I hope all is well.
    -Chance

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH my GOSH!! INDIA?? I can't wait to see the pics. Maybe all our family will end up relocating there for our own Shantaram experience. But yes, as Olivia said,without the jail. I miss you soooo much and LOVED seeing youguys here in Vancouver/Portland. and Thank you so much for botching the hell out of my name, that was very sweet! Love you! You two be safe, love, GENOA ;-)

    ReplyDelete