Tuesday, December 15, 2009

The Road to Recovery

Dear Readers,
I am sorry to say, but Chance and I fell ill just two nights ago.  I'm not sure if either of us will survive.  A terrible sickness overcame our bodies, taking advantage of our already weak bodies crippled by the snivels. Yes, that is correct, the snivels.  A terrible affliction that Merrian-Webster defines as "a run at the nose." Already having trouble with this, this new rarer sickness we contracted hit us hard and unexpected.  Some call it... what was it? Oh yeah, "Delhi Belly" or something crazy like that. 
Anyways, we had a long, rough night vomiting... out of both ends.  Luckily we had support from some travelers we met the day before.  They gave us oral rehydration packets and antibiotics.  We didn't take the antibiotics, although I was convinced I did until I checked my pocket and it was still there.  Apparently it was just a dream, or perhaps a fantasy, tricking my body into feeling somewhat better. For all of Sunday, we lied in bed sleeping and recuperating.  We lucked out because we planned to take the train that day to McLeod Ganj.  But instead of being responsible, we waited to buy tickets until the day before, but then we found out there would be an emergency charge!  So instead we bought tickets for Monday. Close call.
Now we are in McLeod Ganj after an 11 hour train ride, followed by a 2 hour taxi ride.  This is the place where the Tibetan government in exile is located.  We visited the Dalai Lama's temple, and strolled the town.  The way of life here is much more relaxed.  Perhaps it is because it isn't peak season, or it is the Tibetan influence, or both.  Either way, it is very cool here.  It's about 2,000 meters up, so the air is colder and thin, but the views are enchanting.  There are many hikes to do, which I am very excited for. Some to small villages, others to waterfalls, and some just to see breathtaking views of the surrounding land from the Himalayas.

It's a short post, yes, but I'm tired from the journey here, so it'll have to do.  Maybe Chance will have more to say.

Love,
Josh

1 comment:

  1. You guys shouldn't scare your parents like that or I'M going to die of laughter. I love that you have gone to India and that you are living my dream. Keep doing what you are doing so that I can as well... vicariously or something. It's super awesome that you guys did yoga and went to the Dalai Lama's temple. I want more details about who you guys talk to, like did you get instruction on yoga?

    -Doyle

    ReplyDelete